After endless nights of studying getting high off coffee, you're finally over. Forgive me for my proscrastination and lack of motivation. I must say, this was probably by far my favorite semester experience-wise.
Everytime I have an incredibly insightful day full of new experiences, I can't help but think, "While you were asleep for 8 hours, I got to see a c-section, a momma getting her tubes tied, a baby being born. I got to take care of mommas and their new babies, gave babies their first immunization shots. I got to take care of kids who weren't my own like they were my own, feeding them, burping them, and playing with them. I felt the hope and faith parents of children with cancer have as they went in and out of the clinic for their occasional visit. I watched ultrasounds, found babies' heartbeats on the fetal heart monitor and monitor momma's contractions all the while reassuring her that her needs will be met while she's in labor." So I ask again, "What did you do in the last 8 hours?" As stressful as this career is, there's nothing more satisfying and rewarding than that feeling that you've made a difference in one life today, if not more.
Something I learn repeatedly over the semesters of being in this nursing program is the gift of life and how many people take it for granted or abuse it. Seeing kids fighting disease and premies who end up in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) cuz their moms was on crack give me knots in my tummy and make me pray that I will be fortunate enough to give birth to and raise a healthy child. I pray for the 35+ year-old soon-to-be-mommas with hypertension and diabetes who are hospitalized for weeks prior to giving birth and pregnant teens, both at risk for more birth defects and complications. I pray for them and myself. I pray for the present and the future.
My favorite part about nursing is that each day, you learn something new and you meet a handful of new people, not to mention the crazy ass things you see and do. Thank you to everyone that helped me survive this semester.
I'm more than halfway to the prize. One more year until I graduate. Amazing :]
No comments:
Post a Comment