Thursday, July 30, 2009

Most Def.

I came across this story about a 27-year-old who lost her battle with Leaukemia since she was diagnosed in 2007. She, along with her hubby and loved ones, started a project called Project Michelle in hopes to find a donor. I'm most def going to register with the National Donor Marrow Donor (NMDP) and the Asian American Donor Program (AADP). Her goal was to get 20,000 people to register and she was so close, at 18,000. From what I know, once you register, a kit is sent to you with cotton swabs to swab the inside of your cheek. All you gotta do is send it back.



My dad lost his battle with leukemia about 13 years ago when I was a mere 9 years old and my little bro was 3. Maybe I'll be able to save someone's life with a simple swab of the cheek. Maybe some little girl and boy will be able to have their mom or dad see them graduate or get married. Or maybe it'll benefit a little kid and ease the worries of their parents. Last semester when I did my pediatrics rotation at Rady's Children's Hospital, I went to the oncology clinic for a day and it's now a day I can't forget. A toddler, probably 3 years old, called out to his nurse by name, with arms in the sky and the biggest grin on his face. It was mind-boggling trying to imagine how many times these kids have seen the inside of this clinic and how much these families have bonded with the nurses and other health care professionals. All the kids were calm and this trip to the clinic was far from unusual to them.

Register: http://www.marrow.org/
Keep up: http://projectmichelle.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment